Mason General Hospital & Family of Clinics
Escape to Washington State’s best kept secret; where real estate is affordable and your backyard is the gateway to the Olympic Peninsula! MGH&FC is a hidden gem of a healthcare system, wherein you can shine as a valued member of our dedicated team of caring professionals.
Director of HIM – This full-time, Exempt, Management position is non-union and offers an excellent leadership opportunity with competitive pay, full benefits and generous retirement contribution.
Plans, organizes, and oversees day-to-day operations of the Health Information Management (HIM) Department, including coding and release of information, and maintains the privacy, safety and security of records. Ensures all outpatient, inpatient and clinic records are processed for timely and accurate chart completion and ensures documentation guidelines and rules for correct coding are met. Coordinates HIM functions with clinical operations departments across hospital and clinics. Works with the Medical Staff in matters of chart completion and documentation to ensure coding accuracy, optimal reimbursement and compliance with licensing, accreditation and legal requirements, and to enhance the physician-hospital relationship. Supports and advises the District’s Privacy Officer. Establishes policies and procedures to provide administrative direction and develops and maintains a positive work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages and performs the daily operations work of the health information management (HIM) department. Ensures all department operations are efficiently and effectively maintained; develops policies and procedures; monitors workflow and processes and identifies and implements improvements as needed. Responds to audit results as appropriate.
- Manages vendor relationships for medical transcription, coding, and charging services to ensure performance requirements are met. Conducts periodic audits and reviews to monitor performance; follows up in a timely manner.
- Coordinates HIM functions with clinical operations departments. Works with the Medical Staff in matters of chart completion and documentation to ensure coding accuracy, optimal reimbursement and compliance with licensing, accreditation and legal requirements and to enhance the physician-hospital relationship.
- Manages coding activities. Partners with finance and business office/patient financial services (PFS) to ensure Chargemaster codes are updated and accurate; works closely with department managers to ensure Chargemaster and billing compliance. Ensures that charges are captured appropriately and that claims are submitted timely to payors. Partners with PFS to resolve claims that unable to be billed. Works closely with PFS and finance department to review denied claims and to assist with the follow up on appeals.
- Develops and oversees clinical documentation improvement (CDI) initiatives.
- Participates actively in Electronic Medical Record (EMR) development and maintenance activities. Supports and ensures the integrity of EMR through monitoring and auditing activities.
- Calculates, tracks, and analyzes a variety of statistics; generates timely, accurate and useful reports.
- Supports the District’s HIPAA privacy officer to help assure compliance with HIPAA requirements.
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships. Advises and consults with physicians, mid-level providers, nurses, and other hospital and clinic personnel. Serves as a liaison across disciplines. Participates as an active member of various committees; leads work groups, projects and committees as assigned.
- Actively supports a positive workplace culture. Monitors the work performance of staff and provides timely feedback and performance management. Maintains effective employee and labor relations practices, including timely follow-up and resolution of concerns or issues. Ensures that policies and collective bargaining agreements are administered consistently and equitably.
- Performs other related duties and special projects as assigned.
In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed above, all employees are expected to support the Mason General Hospital & Family of Clinics mission, vision and values; comply with District policies and procedures; and conduct themselves in an ethical, professional, respectful, and collaborative manner at all times.
- Communicates a Compelling Vision and Direction: Inspires and motivates by communicating a clear picture of where the organization is going. Involves others in identifying and achieving common goals and priorities.
- Drives Results: Translates ideas into concrete actions; guides and inspires others to achieve results and improve organizational effectiveness and efficiency; mobilizes resources and removes barriers for success; anticipates potential problems and develops contingency plans to overcome them; works across organizational boundaries, avoiding turf issues and eliminating unnecessary work to achieve the desired results; concentrates on outcomes rather than activities; delivers measurable results, on time and within budget.
- Fosters an Environment of Trust and Integrity: Models and maintains openness and inclusiveness; interacts with others in a manner that is straightforward and respectful. Follows through on commitments. Leads by example. Recognizes and appreciates the impact of emotions on situations and plans and responds accordingly.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Demonstrates the ability to build alignment and commitment within and across functions to achieve common goals; encourages others to work collaboratively. Actively champions the needs and goals of the organization. Surfaces and resolves conflicts in a timely and constructive manner; seeks to understand others’ points of view.
- Manages Change: Develops plans and strategies to address current and future challenges and opportunities. Recognizes when there is a need for change. Demonstrates tolerance and adaptability when dealing with ambiguous situations. Communicates frequently and candidly during times of change. Creates a shared responsibility among team members by involving them in critical deliberations and decisions as appropriate.
- Develops self and others: Takes responsibility for developing professional expertise. Reflects on successes and failures and applies lessons learned. Provides regular coaching and guidance to employees; provides honest and clear feedback regarding strengths, weaknesses and areas for development. Encourages employees to reflect on their successes and failures and identify lessons learned.
- Demonstrates Effective Management Skills: Executes management tasks in an accurate and timely manner. Manages financial resources effectively. Maintains equipment and physical space. Manages department to meet service and performance expectations. Maintains appropriate staffing levels and competency of staff. Monitors and manages staff performance, satisfaction and engagement. Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and federal, state and local laws.
- Minimum five (5) years of progressive HIM and coding experience
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) required
- Supervisory experience strongly preferred
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) Certification preferred
Associate’s degree required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
Mason General Hospital & Family of Clinics Employees enjoy excellent benefits, including generous retirement contributions. We thought you might be interested in the indirect compensation the hospital provides for employees in addition to competitive pay:
- Medical, Rx, Dental & Vision Benefits
- Life Insurance & AD&D
- Earned Time
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary Insurance Options
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
Details on each program may be obtained from Human Resources.
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Apply Online: http://www.masongeneral.com%20