Conifer Health Solutions
The Director of HIM is responsible for developing, administering, and managing systems related to health information management services and revenue cycle management functions at a facility/facilities level that support and comply with the Corporate directives. This position serves as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in health records maintenance, health records processing, electronic health record systems, EHR management, clinical documentation guidelines, HIPAA Privacy and Security, Release of Information, chart completion/delinquency process, transcription, coding and reimbursement, regulatory compliance, and revenue cycle management. The Director of HIM evaluates operations and technology continuously and recommends changes and methods for improving processes and is accountable for ensuring that policies and procedures are consistently administered efficiently and effectively to manage health information and health information services. This position serves as an advocate for privacy and confidentiality of health information and ensures compliance with related regulations and standards established by State, Federal, accrediting, and other regulatory agencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Others may be assigned.
- Customer and Employee Satisfaction:
- Develops positive customer relationships by displaying professional and helpful behaviors, as well as mutual respect for patients, physicians, team members, visitors, and family/significant others.
- Communicates openly and honestly; following through with assignments; behaving in a fair and consistent manner; and supporting teamwork at all levels of the organization.
- Health Information Management:
- Directs plans, develops, and implements systems for documentation, storage, and retrieval of health record information in accordance with accrediting/ regulatory and Conifer requirements.
- Assists HIM OPS Market Director to develop, implement, and assess long-range and short-term goals; conducts studies and analyzes reports and makes recommendations concerning staffing, organization, budget, and workflow.
- Monitors local/national trends and legislation in health information management and adjusts HIM processes accordingly
- Directs, plans, organizes, monitors, and evaluates the work assignments of direct reports to ensure effective and efficient operations and compliance with established standards, rules, and regulations
- Collects, analyzes and enters data/documentation for all required reporting in a timely manner and prior to deadline.
- Privacy/Confidentiality/Release of Information
- Directs and evaluates compliance to privacy, information security, and confidentiality of health information standards throughout CRI and reports known exceptions
- Ensures compliance with related regulations and standards established by State, Federal, accrediting, and other regulatory agencies.
- Monitors completion of required compliance, privacy, information security, and other mandatory training in a timely manner prior to deadlines.
- Data Collections Systems: Confidentiality/Release of Information
- Directs and coordinates development and implementation of systems necessary for timely and accurate collection of clinical revenue integrity data and statistical information
- Monitors HIM operations performance through dashboards, productivity standards, and benchmarking against peer organizations.
- Provides support in generating KPI reports, monitoring trends and taking action to address/resolve identified issues
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and Legal Medical Record Assessment Mechanisms
- Directs evaluation, selection, and implementation of systems and/or system enhancement/redesign to effectively meet department and organization requirements and goals while complying with the Nationally established guidelines.
- Determine EMR best practices; revise and implement policies and procedures; follow up on action plans and modify workflows as needed to achieve consistent high quality outputs from HIM Operation areas.
- Fiscal Management
- Responsible for HIM OPS/Market financial budget and staffing plan
- Manages HIM operations to budget and resolves variances
- Develops annual capital budget and long term capital plan that include new technologies to obtain productivity efficiencies and cost savings
- Revenue Management
- Effectively manages the DNFB report on a daily basis
- Identifies HIM OPS responsibilities and addresses on a daily basis
- Monitors, evaluates, areas outside of HIM that are negatively impacting DNFB/DNFC and addresses options for resolution to assist in management of the DNFM/DNFC.
- Personnel Management
- Effectively recruits, develops, and retain qualified staff
- Coaches and mentors staff in order to improve performance, meet productivity standards and expand responsibility
- Identifies talent and actively develops skills to support the functioning of the department
- Monitors, evaluates, appraises, or disciplines employees’ activities according to organizational guidelines.
- Management of Information Standard Administrative Responsibility
- Directs and coordinates maintenance and compliance of The Joint Commission, Medicare Conditions of Participation, and DNV requirements/standards related to information management and medical record documentation and content.
FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY (Specify Revenue/Budget/Expense):
- Annual budget: up to 3.5 million
If direct report positions are listed below, the following responsibilities will be performed in accordance with guidelines, policies and procedures and applicable laws. Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Direct Reports (titles) HIM Managers, HIM Supervisors
- Indirect Reports (titles) HIM Specialists
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office Work Environment
- Hospital Work Environment
- Work environment is at a moderate level
- Capacity to work productively and independently in a virtual office setting or at hospital setting if required to travel for assignment.
- Up to 50% travel may be required
PRIMARY LOCATION: Tacoma, Washington
JOB TYPE: Full-Time
SHIFT TYPE: Days
Include minimum certification required to perform the job.
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or active participation in a higher level of education towards obtaining a RHIA or RHIT is required
- Master’s degree preferred but not required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to work in sitting position, use computer and answer telephone
- Ability to travel
- Includes ability to walk through hospital-based departments across broad campus settings, including Emergency Department environments
- Duties may require bending, twisting and lifting of materials up to 25 lbs.
- Duties may require driving an automobile to off-site locations.
Conifer requires its candidates, as applicable and as permitted by law, to obtain and provide confirmation of all required vaccinations and screenings prior to the start of employment activity. This may include, but is not limited to, the COVID-19 vaccination, influenza vaccination, and/or any future required vaccines and screenings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable consideration may be given to other candidates per Senior Management discretion. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understanding of HIM processes in an electronic health record environment with ability to research, design, and implement best practices
- Advanced knowledge of The Joint Commission, Medicare Conditions of Participation, and DNV requirements related to information management and medical record documentation and content; proficiency in interpreting and implementing measures to comply with these requirements
- Ability to effectively interpret and apply organizational policies, procedures, and systems
- Ability to handle multiple complex assignments
- Demonstrated knowledge of multi-department and cross-functional project planning, project management and change management
- Ability to identify and resolve problems of varying degrees of complexity using strong analytical and logic skills
- Ability to troubleshoot, isolate, and lead resolutions of issues
- Advance knowledge of compiling and reporting statistical data
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with direct reports, corporate leadership, and hospital/medical staff leadership
- Ability to monitor and maintain a budget
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong written communication and presentation skills
- Computer knowledge of MS Office
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Previous successful Manager or Director level experience in hospital and/or academic hospital/health system environment with an EMR strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management and/or closely related field and seven (7) years progressively responsible related experience to include at least three (3) years in supervisory capacity.