Portland Community College
Portland Community College’s Health Information Management (HIM) Program is an online program and a regional leader in educating the next generation of HIM professionals. We are currently looking for a full-time faculty member who has current content knowledge, who can balance academics with practical application, and is committed to equitable student success.
Candidates must be available for routine on-campus activities at the Cascade Campus including student meetings, industry partner meetings, and other college and program functions.
Application materials are due by the end of the day, September 16th.
For additional information please visit the Health Information Management website and review the program’s course offerings.
See the classification description for additional information: https://www.pcc.edu/instructor-qualifications/him/
- Teach 3-5 fully online courses a term.
- Meet with students on-campus and with Zoom.
- Update assigned courses as necessary in D2L.
- Participate in college committees.
- Possible assignment later as program director and/or faculty department chair.
- Partial remote work may be possible.
To be considered, your application must demonstrate these minimum qualifications. (Experience is calculated based on the start and end dates you provide multiplied by the number of hours per week worked).
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Current credential as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Three years’ work experience in the Health Information Management profession
These qualifications, skills and abilities are critical for success in this position.
Throughout the screening process, you will be evaluated based on the demonstration of these qualifications.
In your application materials, please clearly address how your experience aligns with the following Success Criteria.
- Demonstrated experience training or teaching students, staff, or co-workers from diverse backgrounds and with variable skill levels while giving constructive feedback (written or verbal)
- Demonstrated experience with online learning as an instructor, trainer, or student
- Healthcare work experience or education that would allow the candidate to teach a breadth of program courses
- Foundational understanding of medical coding
Demonstrated experience using electronic health records systems or related systems and creating MS Excel spreadsheets
- Experience reading and interpreting health records, working with healthcare statistics and data analysis or quality improvement activities, along with the ability to communicate this with students
- Master’s degree in Health Information Management or related field
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience; Master’s degree in HIM or related field preferred.