Health is our business
Make it yours. At Kaiser Permanente, we realize that it takes more than expert medical care to be one of the nation’s leading health care providers and not-for-profit health plans. It takes advanced technologies, state-of-art facilities, and the people to support them. Come impact your future, and the future of care. Join us in Clackamas, Oregon.
Release of Information Specialist
In this role, you will maintain confidentiality of protected health information (PHI). You will review requests for health information; abstract case histories; prepare medical records for use in legal proceedings; and support compliance and Principles of Responsibility. In addition, you will adhere to applicable federal and state laws and regulations, accreditation, and licensing requirements, policies, and procedures as well as report and/or resolve issues of non-compliance.
- At least four years of experience in disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI), with an emphasis on the legal aspects, in a health care setting or a recent graduate of an accredited Associate Degree Health Information Management (HIM) program and two years of experience in a health care setting
- One year of customer service experience
- A high school diploma or GED
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) preferred
- Certification of medical terminology and abbreviations, current within two years or you will need to complete the Kaiser Permanente medical terminology assessment with a minimum competency score of 84% or higher
- The ability to type at least 40 words per minute with above average accuracy
- Comprehensive knowledge of anatomy and terminology preferred
- Basic knowledge of biology/anatomy/disease processes, laboratory tests and what they are ordered for, and drugs and what they are prescribed for preferred
- Proficiency in the use of applicable computer software (e.g., MS Word, Excel, Outlook) and other work related tools (e.g., fax machine, copier, scanner, multi-line phone system, etc.)
- The ability to understand and communicate Washington and Oregon laws and regulations that relate to release of information and disclosure of PHI and principles of confidentiality
- Familiarity with health record chart content, order, and ability to quickly scan large volumes of documents in paper form or online for sensitive information and requested documentation
- The ability to consistently meet or exceed department quality and productivity standards
- Demonstrated accuracy, medical abstracting, and time management skills preferred
- Familiarity with Health Information Management policies and procedures (Privileged Information, Guidelines for Authorizations, Health Record Security, Health Record Documentation) preferred
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities in a busy environment with frequent interruptions and time demands
- Comprehensive knowledge of Federal law and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 preferred
- Strong knowledge of Oregon and Washington laws relating to health information preferred
- The ability to demonstrate courtesy, helpfulness, and respect in dealing with customers
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively (both written and oral) with internal and external customers
- The ability to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment
Instructions for Resume Submission:
For immediate consideration, please visit http://kp.org/careers for complete qualifications and job submission details, referencing job number 647663.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
This position supports Kaiser Permanente’s code of conduct and compliance by adhering to all laws and regulations, accreditation and licensure requirements, and internal policies and procedures.
Discover what it’s like to be part of an industry-leading organization driving innovative care and technology. Get social with us and see what people are saying!
Glassdoor and LinkedIn: Kaiser Permanente
Facebook: Kaiser Permanente Thrive
YouTube: Kaiser Permanente Careers