AHIMA defines Information Governance (IG) as “an organization-wide framework for managing information throughout its lifecycle and for supporting the organization’s strategy, operations, regulatory, legal, risk and environmental requirements.”
WSHIMA has recently instituted an IG committee to help promote the awareness and usefulness of IG for HIM professionals in Washington. The IG Committee is set to promote local educational opportunities and the development of local resources.
To read more about IG, see the following:
- ARMA Generally Accepted Recordkeeping Principles ® http://www.arma.org/docs/sharepoint-roadshow/the-principles_executive-summaries_final.doc
- Gartner IT Glossary: http://www.gartner.com/it-glossary/information-governance (Accessed May 2017).
- http://www.hhnmag.com/articles/6956-information-governance-for-hospitals (Accessed March 2017).
- “Information Governance for Analytics Support: Remember the Life Cycle Component.” JAHIMA. June 2017.
- Johns, ML. Enterprise Health Information Management and Data Governance. 2015. ISBN: 978-1-58426-155-1.
- Johns ML. Chapter 3, “Data Governance and Stewardship” in Oachs and Watters, Health Information Management: Concepts, Principles, and Practice, 5th edition. AHIMA 2016. ISBN: 978-1-58426-514-6.
- Kloss L. Implementing Information Governance: Lessons from the Field. 2014. ISBN-13: 978-1118218303 and ISBN-10: 1118218302
- Kloss L. Iron Mountain, “Redefining the Roles of Health Information Management in the New World of Information Governance” 2014. (Accessed May 2017)
- Nunn S. “Invisible Information Governance.” For the Record. Vol.27 No.5 P.12. (Accessed May 2017)
- Smallwood RF. Information Governance: Concepts, Strategies, and Best Practices (Wiley CIO)
- Smallwood RF. Introduction to Information Governance. Bacchus Business Books, 2016.
- Smallwood RF. “Defining the Differences Between Information Governance, IT Governance & Data Governance.” http://community.aiim.org/blogs/robert-smallwood/2014/08/18/defining-the-differences-between-information-governance-it-governance–data-governance (Accessed March 2017).